The Rev. Alvin Edwards, Pastor of Mt. Zion First African Baptist and President of the Collective, offered a welcome and a prayer.
Rev. Maren Hange, Pastor of Charlottesville Mennonite Church, served as our Master of Ceremonies.
During the meal, participants were invited to share their answers to these ice-breaker question:
- Identify 5 items that all people at your table have in common that do not have to do with physical appearance.
- Write down the one most interesting item.
After the meal the following speakers gave personal testimonies about their experience with race and racism...
Rev. Michael Cheuk, Secretary of the Charlottesville Clergy Collective, talked about "Learning about Racial Justice as a Racial Minority" (video and transcript).
1. Knowing we all had different experiences and perspectives, what spoke to you and what surprised or challenged you in the stories you just heard?
2. Given Charlottesville's racial past and present, what does repair mean to you? What does it look like?
3. Are there any questions that you are grappling with that you'd like to share with the table?
Participants were also given a handout of Local Resources that congregations can access to further explore race.
Olam Chesed Yibaneh (4x)
I will build this world from love
And you will build this world from love
And if we build this world from love
Then God will build this world from love.
- Rev. Maren Hange and Rev. Liz Hulme Adam, Co-Chairs of Planning Committee.
- Apostle Sarah Kelley, Cheraga Rabia Povich, Rev. Carol Sims, Rev. Albert Connette, Rev. Brenda Brown-Grooms, Rev. Elizabeth Emrey, Elizabeth Shillue, Rabbi Tom Gutherz, Rev. Lehman Bates, and Rev. Michael Cheuk, Members of Planning Committee.
- Members of Faith, Hope and Love who served the registration table.
- Delicious food catered by Kim Swift of Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- The youth from Christ Church, Olivet Presbyterian and Tabor Presbyterian who served at the food line, and to Courtenay Evans of Christ Church for coordinating their service.
- Those who served as facilitators for our table conversations.
- Cheraga Rabia Povich, for compiling the handout of local resources.
- Thea Cheuk, for taking video and photos.
- The staff at Carver Recreation Center for allowing us to come and helping us to set up their space.
- Charlene Green of the Charlottesville Office of Human Rights for her facilitator training and on-going consultation and support.
- For all the faith leaders who invited members of their congregations to attend the gathering, and for their courage and work to support further conversations and education about race in the coming weeks and months.
- Baha'i Faith Community of Charlottesville
- Charlottesville Friends Meeting
- Charlottesville Mennonite
- Christ Episcopal Church
- Congregation Beth Israel
- Ebenezer Baptist Church
- Faith, Hope and Love Church
- First United Methodist Church
- Grace Church, Red Hill
- Insight Meditation Community, Charlottesville
- Inayati Sufi Order, Charlottesville
- Lutheran Church (ELCA)
- Mt. Zion First African Baptist Church
- New Beginnings Christian Community
- Olivet Presbyterian Church
- P'nai Yisrael
- Sojourners United Church of Christ
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church
- Tabor Presbyterian Church
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial Church - Unitarian Universalist
- Trinity Episcopal Church
- Unity of Charlottesville
- University Baptist Church
- Westminster Presbyterian Church
- Zion Hill Baptist Church